How to enrol

You must be between the ages of 16 – 28 and have a clear passion for food. It is preferable to have at least a Grade 10 certificate, and you must be able to communicate clearly in English. Students are only accepted after a personal interview, so apply as soon as possible to start the process.

Our acceptance process involves an interview with our Principal, Chef Jade Benians. A graduate of 1000 Hills Chef School herself, she holds numerous culinary awards and worked in Australia and Scotland after qualifying. She joined us in 2010 and her passion for food matches her love for teaching young people the culinary arts. Chef Jade leads a team of Chef Lecturers that are skilled experts in their culinary area, and they are equally passionate about sharing their love of food and the creative art of cooking with students.

Both the learner and parents or guardians must attend the interview. These can be arranged from Wednesday to Sunday by appointment. Please complete the form on this page if you have any questions and we will get back to you with all the information you need.

International Students

International students who are not already permanent residents of South Africa need to apply for a Study Visa before they can study at 1000 Hills Chef School. If you are an international student and wish to study in South Africa; you can apply for a Study Visa by completing Form BI-1738. Study Visas must be applied for at VFS Centres across the country near the educational institution you will be studying at or at the nearest South African embassy, mission or consulate abroad. Study visas for studies at a learning institution other than a school shall be issued for the duration of the course registered for. Click HERE for more information on Study Visas.

You will need to be formally accepted to study with us, which means you will need to apply and go through the interview process. Interviews will be conducted via SKYPE so that a video “face to face” interview with you and your parent/s or sponsor can be conducted. Read more about the interview process above.

The following documents must be submitted with the BI-1738 application form: 

  • A valid passport. No less than 30 days after the expiry of intended visit
  • Payment of the prescribed fee 

  • A vaccination certificate, if required by the Act
  • Proof of financial means to cover envisaged living expenses during the sojourn in the Republic and to also pay for the tuition fees. This should be in the form of: 
Bank statements, cash available or travellers’ cheques 
  • Proof of medical cover 

  • A cash deposit equivalent to the value of a return ticket
  • In the case of African students, an undertaking from the relevant government to take full responsibility of the student and to pay all costs, should it become necessary to deport the student 

  • Medical and radiology reports 

  • An unabridged birth certificate in the case of minors
  • In the case of a minor, the particulars of the person in the Republic of South Africa who will act as the learner’s guardian and a letter from such person confirming guardianship
  • Consent from both parents for your stay in South Africa, or from the parent who has sole custody, along with proof of sole custody
  • An official letter from the educational institution, where you intend to study, confirming provisional acceptance and the duration of the course
  • Proof of medical cover renewed annually for the period of study with a medical scheme registered in terms of the Medical Schemes Act
  • If you are 18 years and older, a police clearance certificate from each country in which you resided for 12 months or longer since the age of 18 years is required. This should be submitted with the application
  • The holder of a study visa may conduct part-time work for a period not exceeding 20 hours per week

The overriding consideration in processing applications for study permits are that:

  • No international student may displace a South African citizen/resident at a local educational institution 
  • The student must have proof of sufficient funds to pay for day-to-day living expenses, accommodation as well as tuition fees during his/her stay in South Africa 

  • The student must have adequate medical cover with a registered South African medical scheme and proof thereof.

Student Loans

How student loans work

You have chosen your field of study and where you want to study, you applied and best day ever – you have been accepted!  An acceptance letter confirms that you are enrolled to study at a tertiary institute, like 1000 Hills Chef School.

A student loan offers you the chance to study and YOU will repay the loan when you start working. To apply for a loan, go to the bank with:

  • proof of enrolment
  • your parents’ proof of income
  • proof of address
  • your ID
  • your parents’ ID

Your parents (or any qualifying adult) can sign surety for you. This means they make a promise to the bank that if you (for whatever reason) fail to pay back your loan, they will do so on your behalf. The bank will generally expect your parents to pay the interest portion of the loan on a monthly basis while you study. The actual loan amount will be for you to pay once you have completed your studies. Learn more about student loans here.


We do not offer bursaries for our foundation programme. We have been very fortunate to have the support of sponsors who are willing to fund the Advanced Diploma studies of a few students, however, this is not always guaranteed. Several students have been able to secure student loans to study at 1000 Hills Chef School. The course is highly practical, and this makes graduates instantly employable.

Our excellent reputation in industry helps our chefs to secure top-notch positions, which means banks are able to be paid back by working graduates.